It’s simple arithmetic really:
good friends + good food = one lovely evening
Originally, there were two of us. Then three. Then four. And four’s a party. So, behold, what I now consider to be the best party dinner…
MAKE YOUR OWN SPRING ROLLS!
Why, you ask, are spring rolls the best party dinner? Let me count the ways:
1. There are enough small tasks for everyone to be involved with the prep.
2. You get to assemble your meal gathered around the table together.
3. It’s healthy!
4. It’s fun!
5. It’s easy!
6. You are guaranteed to laugh at least once when someone accidentally gets the wrapper they are preparing ripped/mangled/stuck to itself/stuck to something else.
The only things you need for this fabulous, festive feast are:
– a bunch of your favorite vegetables chopped into strips (we used carrots, cucumbers, avocado, and green onions)
– protein of your choice (we used chicken)
– rice noodles (optional, if you want to bulk up your rolls)
– fresh herbs of your choosing (we used basil)
– spring roll wraps
– dipping sauce, if desired
First, cut all the veggies into strips:
Cook the chicken in a skillet. Flavor with soy sauce, if desired.
Making your own peanut sauce is really easy, so I would recommend giving it a try! This is a combo of soy sauce, fresh ginger, chunky peanut butter, and a little hot water (tip: it’s very important that the water be HOT!).
You will need to stir vigorously to combine the sauce, so don’t feel discouraged if it doesn’t look right at first.
Cook the rice noodles, if using, on the stove:
Once all of the ingredients are ready, assemble everything on the table and prepare some hot water in a skillet for prepping the wrappers:
The spring roll wrappers will be something like hard, thin, crackers to start with. You need to dip them in the hot water to soften. Once softened, the wrappers will also be sticky so you can fold up your roll after stuffing. You will probably master this step on the second try. 🙂
Finally, the best part, add all the ingredients you want, roll up, and enjoy!
Yes, definitely a party. 🙂